When we fail, we can easily fall into anxiety, guilt, or depression, like Matt did in his failure in Dublin. But failure can lead us toward success. A simple Google search reveals many famous people discuss their failures and subsequent successes. We can succeed through failure, too!
In this episode of the Mindful Agility podcast, Mirela Petalli, Matthew Zimmerman, Dan Dickson and Dan Greening discuss an episode of Matt’s life. He moved to Ireland, thinking it would solve all his problems, and discovered: Nope. But through that humiliating experience, Matt unexpectedly discovered folks he could count on, and years later, he realized his experiment gave him new powers.
- Eskreis-Winkler, L., & Fishbach, A. (2022). You Think Failure Is Hard? So Is Learning From It. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 17(6), 1511–1524. https://doi.org/10.1177/17456916211059817
- Image of humiliated traveler by DALL-E.
- Stinger sound Swing beat 120 xylophone side-chained by Casonika licensed under Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) to Mindful Agility.
- Daniel Greening, host, agile coach, and computer scientist
- Mirela Petalli, co-host, meditation guide, and neurocritical nursing instructor
- Matt Zimmerman, Scrum Master and web product manager
- Dan Dickson, business coach, executive and management consultant